It’s Not Easy Being Green!

Last week my mom got word that one of her friends from college was coming at the end of October to visit NY and therefore stay at my parents house. All of a sudden my mom got into crunch mood and wanted to get a jump on a bunch of projects she wanted completed in the house.

One of the main rooms in the house that needed a re-vamp is the master bathroom. Let’s just say there is nothing master about it. It’s been a room that she has always wanted to tackle, but since everything was in working order it always got moved to the bottom of the list.

Since everything is still in working condition we are just going to spruce it up a bit with fabric, paint and new artwork, but before you see the what we are going to do you need to see what it looks like now.

Warning not for the faint of heart:

{This bathroom was designed when avocado green was all of the rage.}

{The window in the shower is getting replaced and I snapped a picture before it was finished hence the shower curtain that has been moved to cover the window and protect it from water while it sets.}

{More green swirly tiles and blah white walls.}

Now before you start to doubt me and think a drastic new look can’t be accomplished without gutting the whole space take a look at this before and after from Darby of Fly Through Our Window.

Before:

After:

Love it! The floors stayed, the cabinets stayed, the orange countertop stayed along with the toilet and tub.

We are going to embrace the green in the bathroom and not fight against. Here is the a little peek into the new color story:

All fabrics were picked up at my favorite place where I snagged 11 yards of fabric for only $39 including 3 yards of some of Eileen Kathryn Boyd’s new line for Duralee!

Stay tuned for the reveal we should be wrapping this project up in the next two weeks.

Do you have a retro bathroom like my parents in your home too? Did you bring it back to life or completely gut it?

This entry was posted in bathroom, before and after, effortless style. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to It’s Not Easy Being Green!

1. Sara says:

Oooh, that will be SO fun!! I actually dig the swirly green tiles (on the wall, at least)…I bet they will look super cool when you are done with the room. I can’t wait to see what you do with that little vanity, though…whether it totally bites the dust or you have a brilliant idea of how to change it.

Have fun! Wish I lived close to my mom and could do projects with her :).

2. Sarah says:

…is it weird that I’m dying over that green color? Maybe I’m stuck in 1976 but I think it is super cute (well, it has the potential to be super cute)! Good luck- can’t wait to see the results!! :)

3. I bet you can make the green work! I can’t wait to see the after photos. I just freshed up a 1930s yellow and black tile bathroom in my house by embracing the yellow and black. I like the way it turned out. It looks so much better, and the total cost of the project was around a $100 (and that includes the art). Good luck!

4. LindsB says:

I actually kinda like that green tile and the tub and toilet- its different than the normal white and I know you are going to make it look amazing!! Cant wait to see the after now!

5. is it bad that i sort of love the green tub, sink and the weird tile? :)

6. I love that you are keeping the green stuff- pretty sure it’s all going to be fabulous – can’t wait to see the afters!!!

7. Anne says:

Oh, yes. I’ve got some serious 1950s pink and green tile in my main floor bathroom. A previous owner glazed the tub white, so that helps a bit. Otherwise I’m just working with it for now by choosing paint colors & a shower curtain that tone down the tiles a bit – keeping the shower curtain shut & hanging the rod a little higher was an easy trick to hide a lot of the tile when you just glance in there :)

8. Lindsay says:

Can’t wait to see the transformation!!

9. Julia says:

I actually think that tile looks a lot like a certain designer fabric I’ve seen. I can’t remember the name of the designer though!

10. Amanda Eck says:

Cant wait to see this one!!! and I literally want to cry because you live so close to the Fabric Outlet- *sigh*
    Have a great day!!

11. Karena says:

I think this is going to work beautifully. Very excited to see the results!!

I hope you will visit and let me know what you think of my Autumn d├ęcor so far.

Oh and I also have a new Giveaway!

Xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

12. I kinda like the tile and tub. I think the fabric is right on. Can you/Would you regrout? I think that would help freshen it up. And I can’t wait to see what you do with the vanity!

13. effortless says:

You guys are funny. I love that you love the green tub and tiles! My Dad is going to be so happy. He has always loved that tile. It’s actually some fancy tile from Italy so don’t worry it’s staying. We are going to embrace the green and run with it!

• Dee Perlenfein says:

Oh, my goodness you have my tub, sink and toilet even with the white toilet lid that I wasn’t happy when my hubby did that instead of buying a NEW toilet. I am stuck with the green right now as well and it is in our upstairs master bedroom and I’ve ALWAYS hated it, so I am excited to see what you are going to do. I just finished updating our downstairs bathroom, got rid of all the wall paper and painted, new lights and faucet – but thank God everything is white down there. Use to have a BRIGHT yellow sink though.

14. Fay says:

Can’t wait to see the final work…. I know you’ll make that green tile work

15. Woohoo! I am so with you. If you can’t gut it – either because you don’t have the time or the budget — the best thing to do with a dated color scheme in a bathroom is to *embrace* it! We all know hiding it doesn’t work … so go for it! Can’t wait to see …

16. Andrea says:

i <3 the green wall tile!!!!! All 3 of my bathrooms were done in an aqua/ turquoise and pinky beige……tiles, tub, sink, and toilet!!!! The main bathroom had mirrored tiles on one wall. The mirror is gone and we're left with some pitted sheetrock (will ve changed soon) After my kitchen remodel is complete, the bathrooms are next!!!!!

17. Where do you find your discount fabric?
    Thanks,
    Lynn

18. Colleen says:

I’m so glad to see it is possible to redecorate a dated bathroom without total demolition! I too have a strange green tile in my hall bath and am really struggling with what colors to put with it…You’ve inspiried me to give it a try!!

19. margaret says:

I think the tiles and green are kind of cool, too! Sometimes when you’ve seen something for a long time all you can see is the ugly, and it’s hard to believe that some parts are likable! You may want to switch out the vanity, though. It’s not that difficult (we did ours by ourselves with one from Home Depot) I think all your choices will bring all the rest of it up to date and make all that green look glamorously intentional.

20. Louisa says:

I actually like the green! I’m glad you are keeping it. The vanity is kinda brutal but I think the green tub/toilet/tiles are fun. Those tiles have a similar loopy pattern as fabric I’ve seen lately. I think it’s on CocoCozy’s fabrics and I swear I saw something similar on the Schumacher website….but maybe not. Anyway, good for you for workin’ that green! :)
    Love your blog!

21. Stacie says:

Did you ever complete the re-do of this bathroom? If so, can you post photos? I am in the process of figuring out what to do with my own avocado green-tiled bathroom, so any inspiration is very welcome and also hard to find! Thank you!

• effortless says:

My last trimester took a toll on my productivity so the bathroom isn’t finished yet. Going to wrap it up this weekend. Stay tuned for the reveal. :)

22. Brenda says:

I too have Kohler “fresh green” colored bathroom fixtures in the master bathroom. Could not change the fixtures, but I also liked them, so worked around them. Grayish green frosted tiles in the tub area, with a small brick border, matching paint for the rest of the bathroom. 2 walnut colored vanities for sinks with verde-butterfly granite counter tops. Large single mirror that over the vanities, chrome and brushed metal faucets. Light oak colored laminate floor, window trim, and door. Accent cabinet dark chocolate brown. High ceilings coved moulding chocolate brown almost black. The result is beautiful.

23. Christina says:

I’m so looking forward to seeing the redo of this bath. I have my own avocado and I’m trying to “get by” for a few years before we remodel (there are more important things on the list first). The bathroom is usable but not pretty on the eyes.

24. Elizabeth says:

Finding this for the first time!!! Has it been completed??? I’m looking at a home with green tile and want to know how this one came out!