With my design clients I have seen that flat weave rugs on the rise. Many times it’s the style that rugs come in when you are ordering something vintage from a different country where they also consider it a blanket!
I love the patterns on flat weave rugs, but I must say I tend to stay clear of them. In my experience flat weave rugs never stay in place. They move all over the place and bunch up which makes for quite a tripping hazard. I know there are rug pads, but I have never had much luck with and then after reading articles about how many are made with toxic materials I was over them.
A couple of weeks ago I got an email from Rug Pad USA telling me about their eco-friendly non slip rug pads for hardware floors. Since I had a beautiful flat weave rug just waiting to fancy up my office I decided to give it a go!
They sent me their premium rubber lock rug pad and it’s a game changer. I’m now a believer as to why it’s a must have.
Here are my top reasons for why a rug pad is essential:
1. Safety: With two small boys and a dog there is a lot of running around my house. A rug pad prevents your rug from moving around or bunching. It also helps keep your rug in place when you are vacuuming.
2. Cushioning: I never thought this was important before, but after testing out this new rug pad I love how soft it is! It’s so bouncy and plush. Extra perk is that it sound proofs your floor a bit, which is great for apartment dwellers.
3. Protection: Typically we place rugs over our precious hardwood floors. Having a rug pad gives you an extra layer of protection. We all get spills and liquids can do a lot of damage to hardwood. A rug pad will take the brunt of the spill.
4. Life Span: A rug pad helps prevent damage to your rug fibers. This will extend the life span of your rug. Bonus points if you are using a flat weave rug they can typically be used on both sides so you can flip it over to extend it’s life span even more.
5. Cleanliness: Take it from someone who goes to a lot of estate sales this is a big perk! So many times I will lift up a rug to check out the quality and I will be met with a cloud of dust and a coating of dusting on the floor. Gross! A rug pad will help with that build up of bacteria so less pet orders and no mildew growth.