3 ladies in the city, before and after, DIY, my work

DIY: Custom Matted Frames

1. journeychic

October 20th, 2009 at 5:34 pm

This is such a great tutorial! I want to do gallery-style displays in our staircases (eventually), and this is such cool way of making basic frames more unique.

2. Scientific Housewife

October 20th, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Thanks for the DIY, that's such a great idea!

3. MMW

October 20th, 2009 at 6:05 pm

oh I love it. I've been looking around for tutorials on how to make my own Linen-Covered mats. To no avail. Thanks for YOUR post today.

4. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle

October 20th, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I've covered many a mat in my day. It's a great way to get exactly the look you want for very little money. Fabric stores often have small remnants at good prices. This would be the ideal project to do with a small piece of fabric you love.

5. Rachel@oneprettything.com

October 20th, 2009 at 6:22 pm

That is such a good idea to use fabric with an inexpensive frame. I love this! I'll be linking.

6. Averill

October 20th, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I love personal photos in a house (which, designer or not, SHOULD be personal) and I love the idea of printing them in b&w and using a fun fabric matting. Great tutorial!

7. Vanessa Bumpus

October 20th, 2009 at 6:33 pm

OMG – I posted a similar tutorial yesterday! Ha ha – great and stylish minds think a like…

I used scrapbooking paper but love the idea about fabric. So fun!

8. urbansardines

October 20th, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Love it! Great idea, Camila! I didn't see them close-up in your earlier shots, so glad you did a "round two" so I can see them better! Oh, how I love a good DIY!

9. Jeannine @ Small and Chic

October 20th, 2009 at 8:20 pm

What a great way to use a super expensive fabric that you can't afford to use on a bigger project! I'm tucking this idea away!

10. SimonsSistaSaw

October 20th, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Great post – thanks for the guidance and especially for the vintage printable tip. Another great site, if you have a printer at home, is feed your soul (http://indiefixx.com/Feed_your_soul/downloads.html)

I'm off to peruse some more on VP and see if I can find just what I didn't know I was missing!

11. Claire Watkins, ASID allied

October 20th, 2009 at 8:41 pm

First of all the fabric gives the frames a unique element that personalizes them to the space. Great idea. Second, designers that don't like putting personal photos in a space? Seriously-those people are dull stoics whose spaces will match but be void of personality-and well, anybody can match stuff 😉

I could see leaving personal pics out of say a law office design, but a home! No way! Go get em Camila!

12. Red Lipstick Style

October 20th, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Oh that's how you fold the fabric. I've tried this, they turned out NOTHING like yours! Yours are beautiful. thank you so much for the tips.

13. Lavender and Lilies

October 20th, 2009 at 11:54 pm

I was wondering how you did that. Those are so cute.

14. Porchlight Interiors

October 21st, 2009 at 6:20 am

Great idea, and looks amazing! Thanks for sharing! Tracey xx

15. Jess

October 21st, 2009 at 12:21 pm

What a great idea! I am a fan of the Dollar Store Frames! I will have to try this out!

16. nestegg

October 21st, 2009 at 1:31 pm

This is exactly what I needed today. Looking for ways to frame a bunch of pictures in a little girls room… this is perfect!!
    Thanks for the ideas. xoRH

17. Emily

October 21st, 2009 at 5:55 pm

These came out great! Wonderful job all around. Love learning about all your projects!!

18. Sara

October 22nd, 2009 at 10:50 pm

I LOVE this idea and will definitely be using it soon! I've been looking for a way to incorporate fabric with my frames and pics and this will be perfect.

Thanks!

19. Anny

November 9th, 2009 at 6:37 am

Thank you for the tutorial, the end result is lovely 🙂