I love nothing more than a slice of warm apple pie. When the leaves start to turn and there is a crisp in the air you will find me itching to bake a pie or 2 or 4 like I did on Sunday night.
Are you feeling the itch too? Here is how you can make an effortless apple crumb pie.
–Pie Crust (I told you this was effortless. I always use refrigerated pie crust.)
-5 medium sized apples. I like using a mix of apples and use Granny Smith and Honeycrisp. So something sweet and something tart.
-1/4 cup of cinnamon sugar
-1/2 cup of lemon juice
-4-5 caramels (my secret ingredient)
-1 cup of flour
-1.5 tablespoon of cinnamon
-1 stick of unsalted butter (cold)
-1/2 cup of packed light brown sugar
-1/2 cup of sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Peel and slice apple pieces.
2. Toss the apple slices in a mixture of cinnamon sugar and lemon juice. Let sit while you make the crumb topping.
3. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, light brown sugar and sugar.
4. Slice stick of butter and add to flour mixture.
5. Use your fingers to combine everything and get your coarse crumb topping.
6. Lay pie crust down in pie dish.
7. Scoop apple mixture into pie dish.
8. My secret tip is to sneak a couple of caramels in between the apple slices. I use 4-5 per pie.
9. Add crumb topping. I like my pie heavy with crumbs because it’s the best part. So if you want you can cut my ingredients in half if you like it lighter.
10. Place in oven for 35-40 mins.
11. Let sit for 30 mins.
In a perfect world I would top it with some vanilla swiss almond ice cream.