How to make: Extra Large Wallpaper Panels

One of the biggest wow factors in the recent install I did was a pairing of wallpaper panels.

DSC04081

We knew right away that we wanted to use feather by Ferm Living.

We also knew right away that we didn’t want to apply the actual paper to the wall. So of course I recommended wallpaper panels!

Seems easy right? Ah not so much. Everyone tells you it’s so easy just frame it. Well when you want a frame to be 2.5 ft x 6 ft it’s not that easy.

We were going to go the DIY route, but hanging the panels proved to a problem that would have required lots of holes and a damage to the trim pieces when removing it.

We also thought of a custom frame, but I got quoted $300 per piece.

I was about to freak out when Jon came to my rescue. After some strategic Google searches he found Wholesale Poster Frames. Let me tell you this company was a dream to work with. We explained what we wanted to do and very quickly told we could have a custom frame next day for the cost of $66 bucks per piece. We had to purchase a couple of other pieces for extra support so our grand total came up to around $166.

I was so nervous that it wouldn’t ship next day. I actually threatened the owner that I would go to CT and beat him up if it didn’t arrive. Ah I’m such a lady. The poor man just chuckled.

Luckily for both of us it arrived next day!

Here is what we got:

DSC04025

Actual frame pieces:

DSC04027

According to the company people normally use foam board and plexi-glass when using their frames. We wanted the wallpaper to be exposed so we didn’t use plexi-glass and we wanted something a bit firmer than foam so we used Eucaboard .

Here is our board with the wallpaper applied and cut to size:

DSC04023
{ You apply the wallpaper with wallpaper paste. We let it dry for about an hour and then used our table saw to cut it down to size.}

Now build your frame you need two pieces of the frame and 2 angled hardware pieces.

DSC04031

You then stack the two angled pieces and slide them into the frame:

DSC04034

Then simply tighten with a screw driver.

DSC04035

You know half an L shaped piece of frame. Take your board and insert into the existing L shape piece and slide in the 2 other pieces of frame and attach with angled hardware:

DSC04036

You then take the spring tension clips:

DSC04047

And insert between the frame section and the artwork backing:

DSC04042
{You need to push and slide them under the frame}

Once this is done you are practically finished. You just need to place the picture hangers in the back frame channels and screw them into place. You can have them at the top and use screws/anchors to place them on the wall or place them on the slides and use the wire provided to hang it that way.

DSC04029

All finished:

DSC04015

Then just hang in your happy clients home:

DSC04066

The great thing about this frame system is that when you get tired of the paper you simply release the spring tension clips and unscrew the frame. Voila the piece comes out and replace it with another design!

* We randomly found this company during a Google search. This is not a sponsored post. They truly were a dream to work with and didn’t break the bank.

This entry was posted in DIY, effortless style, my work. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to How to make: Extra Large Wallpaper Panels

1. Janell @ Isabella and Max says:

Just right, a great way to bring in wallpaper without the commitment of putting actually on the walls. Janell

2. Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com says:

those look great!!

3. LindsB says:

What a great find via a simple google search! They look great in the hallway here- makes such a statement!!

4. Shorely Chic says:

so great – thank you for this info!

I hope you will be giving us a tour of the finished home :)

5. In the Tweeds says:

They look great!!! Love how it makes such a big statement!

6. SogniSorrisi says:

What a great idea for a DIY! Such a statement piece!

7. jess@birdhouse says:

Looks great! Where did the pendant light come from? Love the shadows it makes in the space.

8. Flavia @ Estilo Home says:

Thanks for this post! It really always seemed so easy to just frame wallpaper, but I'm glad I know the right way to do it now! Your client's home is looking great.

9. Averill says:

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, Camila! I have an extra roll of Summer Palace from my powder room and wanted to do three panels for my giant stairwell but didn't want to pay big bucks to have custom frames made. Hurrah!

10. Shannon says:

Is it sad that I consider that project pretty ambitious??? That paper is freaking gorgeous though!

11. Katie (Re:fresh Design Studio) says:

It looks great, Camila! Just curious about the time it takes for you to get these projects ready before the install? Are you charging hourly for the time it takes for you to do all these projects, along with the install and coming up with the design?

Thanks!

12. Hilary Dow-Ward says:

In addition to the fabulous panels, let's talk about the fabulous light fixture! Where is it from? It's awesome.

13. Cristin says:

That is a great way to use wallpaper with out the commitment! Love it!

xo,
    cristin

14. Helena - A Diary of Lovely says:

genius!! Great find and fantastic work, I love the choice of wallpaper too, works so well in the house

15. Laura@JourneyChic says:

Your husband seems like such a gem, helping out with your projects! I hope you throw him some commission now and then. Or at least a beer. :-)

16. Mrs. Chic says:

perfect size for such a large space, those are huge! The wallpaper in them looks very fun

17. High-Heeled Foot in the door says:

Hi All,

The super cool light is from here: http://www.dwr.com/product/lighting/ceiling/pendants-chandeliers/coral-pendant.do?sortby=ourPicks

It was my clients and they painted it.

Making the panels and installing was super easy.

18. coolkids says:

what a great impact! super idea!

19. {Amanda} says:

Gorgeous! I love the idea! ♥

* http://donandamanda.blogspot.com *
    Great Dane Wednesdays: Layla & Lucius!

20. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle says:

Thanks for sharing. There is a frame shop near us that sells that type of frame component. I've used them several times and they are so easy to put together-it's the glass for the frames that is expensive.

21. Jaime @ La vie...J'aime says:

That looks awesome! Fab pattern :)

22. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions says:

I actually suggested this idea/option to a client who has an entry hall like your clients. We are keeping it on the back burner for now in case we come across another idea. Would you do it again and do you recommend it?

23. MyLittleHappyPlace says:

Love, LOVE it!

24. stylewannabee says:

so how do you know when it is "cool" to frame wallpaper and when it's "tacky" to frame wallpaper?

25. Christiana says:

So cool! What a fantastic idea!!

26. janine says:

I'm sure you know best, but why couldn't you use poster hangers (http://www.posterhanger.com/). i've used them with marimekko fabric and they got the job done (I was ripping off CB2 http://www.cb2.com/family.aspx?c=11011&f=5490).

27. Jessica O'Brien says:

wow! impressive both in your originality and tenacity to get it done, as well as the final project. thanks for sharing with us!

28. High-Heeled Foot in the door says:

Hi Janine,

Thanks for that great source.

We wanted a more formal look for the panels so having them in a frame was key for us.

I didn't want them going anywhere and I'm afraid that with the large size we were working with that with the poster hanger system it would have been flying everywhere.

Thanks for letting me know about the company! I will keep them in mind for future projects!

29. Jenny @ Anything Pretty says:

Wow those frames were a great find! I love how the wallpaper brings so much pattern to the space but yet don't require the commitment. They look perfect!

30. Hello Lover... says:

Turned out great – I also really love the lighting!

31. Kate Collins Interiors says:

You are a godsend. It's the cost of framing that has been keeping me back from suggesting such a thing for clients. Thank you!

32. Anonymous says:

Hi!
    I have a question. Did you have a problem adhering the wallpaper to the Eucaboard? Did the wallpaper eventually warp or is it still in good shape? I'm just trying to figure out how to properly adhere the wall paper without it warping. I was thinking of just adhering the wallpaper to the foamcore, but an artists friend of mine said I'll have to paint the foamcore on both sides before adhering the wall paper so that it doesn't warp. Any suggestions? I'm going to order the frames from the same suppliers you ordered yours from. =)

Thanks for your time!

33. Once I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new feedback are added” checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can take away me from that service? Thanks

• effortless says:

Hi Shantel,

Sorry about that. I will contact my programmer and see if I can fix it on my end.

-Camila

34. Geri Sherwood says:

Great idea! What kind of board did you use?

35. Beverly says:

thank you for sharing! you’re blog is sooo helpful. i cant wait to try this out myself. we have been searching for large wall “art” forever and this is the perfect economic solution to our design dilemma!!

thanks you again for sharing!!!

36. Lindsay says:

I loved this idea as soon as I saw it, and have now made 4 wallpaper panels to hang over my couch. I was in touch with the wholesale framing website that you suggested, but they don’t ship to Canada. If there is any other Canadians out there who would like to frame wallpaper panels at a reasonable price, there is another wholesale framing place in Canada. The website is http://www.matshop.ca. They ship to both Canada and the United States.