Refinishing tip: How to remove rust on chrome

A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to get these beauties when Jon spotted them and knew we had to have them.

Screen shot 2013-08-05 at 3.29.51 PM

They were filthy, but they had beautiful lines and amazing leather that was covered in mold (ew!) and chrome legs that were covered in rust (ew, again!)

Once Jon sent me a picture I immediately said yes, because I knew that had to be something special and lo and behold when we flipped them over we saw that they were Arrben leather chairs that are currently on sale on 1st Dibs for $2,400!

With a little elbow grease and a magic eraser we were able to clean up the leather, but the rust on the chrome was another issue. I tried a couple of things and nothing was working and then I found the perfect solution in my kitchen!

Aluminum foil came to my rescue. I didn’t think it was going to work, but it took the frames of the chairs from this:

rustonchair

To this:

afterchair

By simply taking a piece of aluminum foil and rubbing it over the rust. I tried it doing it with the both the shiny and non shiny sides of the foil and both worked.

aluminum foil

Oh so very simply and easy!

This entry was posted in before and after, DIY. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Refinishing tip: How to remove rust on chrome

1. Alyson says:

Wow! Who would have thought foil? They look great.

• Carol says:

Neither would I. I would have thought foil would scratch, but it did beautifully. That was quite a find. Wish I had an eye for stuff that could be transformed.

2. Bernie says:

oooh,..I wonder if this would work on rust spots on my “stainless” steel grill! Definitely worth a try!

3. Aileen says:

They look so great!! I just saw this table I like, but it was rusty and I had no clue how to get the rust off! Awesome!

4. BridgetG says:

I would’ve tried a Brillo pad. Good to know about the foil solution.

5. Molly says:

Such a great tip! Thanks so much for sharing. Now to remember, lol.

6. Who would have thought?! Great tip, thanks.

7. Mallory says:

Great idea. I have also used Coke! (think how they use it to remove rust from car batteries…works on chrome furniture too!)