Baby Talk: Paint Picks!

I took an eternity picking out a paint color for the nursery. Originally I wanted to go bright. Everyone knows I’m a bit color happy, but with everything else going on in the design plan I decided that grasscloth wallpaper was where it was out.

Of course after getting all excited that I made a decision and letting Jon in on it I got a big fat, NO! You see hanging grasscloth yourself can be done, but it’s quite the process and let’s just say that we had many “words” with each other when we put it up in our dining room. Having a professional hang it was out of the question due to budget restrictions, which meant I was back at square one.

One of my inspiration pictures for the nursery was the lovely living room of interior designer, Amanda Nisbet:

I always thought the walls were grasscloth until I read up on the space in House Beautiful and found out that the walls were actually paint. More specially it was Desert Tan by Benjamin Moore.

{Desert Tan}

Jackpot! I was able to get the look I wanted and stay happily married. :)

Of course I still wanted to inject a bit of color into the space and this image popped into my mind:

{Image via Traditional Home}

Then this ceiling shot entered my mind and wouldn’t leave:

{Image via Elle Decor}

I decide that a high gloss pop of orange on the nursery ceiling was just what I needed to make this room feel more like me (Don’t worry the baby kicked in agreement. :) ) . I went with Tangerine Dream by Benjamin Moore:

{Tangerine Dream}

I did a bunch of research on paint brands during the process and really felt that Mythic Paint was the best brand for us.

It arrived in the mail a couple of days ago and Jon has already put a coat up and it did a great job of covering up the blue, the color matched the colors and they are perfect and had minimal smell! Can’t wait for him to add the orange to the ceiling! Stay tuned for pictures.

This entry was posted in baby, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Baby Talk: Paint Picks!

1. I love the idea of the bright color on the ceiling!

2. Laurie says:

Great colors – can’t wait to see the pics.

3. Ashley says:

This nursery is going to be fabulous! Can’t wait to see the ceiling in its glossy goodness

4. Janell Beals says:

Yes, when I met you (seems like forever ago last fall in NYC) you had on the most beautiful bright dress, so I definitely think of you as a color girl! Love the idea of adding orange to the ceiling…looking forward to seeing this special room come together. Janell

5. Tonya says:

Love the idea. Can’t wait to see the ceiling.

Love that bathroom picture. We had a tub like that when we lived in Trinidad, but you stepped in from the end. It was great.

6. Chassity says:

Love it! I almost painted our nursery ceiling high gloss too, but decided against b/c we may sell the house in the next year or two… So excited to see yours!

7. Libby says:

oh i LOVE the color you chose for the ceiling! that is a brave but awesome choice…can’t wait to see it up there :)

8. lifeloveluxe says:

Stunning idea!!! I adore the bright, cheery bits of orange mingling among the neutrals. It sounds like your nursery will be so lovely!

9. Very clever!! I bet you were so excited when it finally clicked! I love it when brainstorming finally comes together!

10. Barbara says:

Looove the color combination. The tangerine is my fave! And those pictures by Amanda are amazing! Cant wait to see it done!

Barbara

11. What wonderful inspiration photos! I love the color in the bathrom! Orange? What a chic option.

12. Brittany says:

I love your blog, definitely one of my favorites. Can’t wait to see what the nursery looks like, congrats!

13. Ellen says:

Make sure you tell your finisher to give you a “Level 5″ finish before the first drop of paint goes up on the ceiling. You will be very unhappy with the result if your SheetRock isn’t as smooth as glass before you paint with high gloss. Every single imperfection will be reflected.

14. Heather says:

Exciting (and very belated congrats??) can’t wait to see the paint on the walls!

15. Thank you for this “jackpot” of a post! I’ve been pondering a particular color for our living room, and that Benjamin Moore color appears to be exactly what I was thinking of. Meanwhile, there’s no way my husband would let me paint colored ceilings, but I tore out an image (maybe House Beautiful two years ago?) that’s almost exactly the color of that coral ceiling and dream often of looking up at that beautiful color….

Oh, and p.s. we used Mythic paint on our baby’s room trim and daybed and I was really glad for the choice. None of the paints we used (Killz, Glidden, and Mythic) had any smell, so I originally questioned whether “non-toxic” really mattered. Then one of our cats walked through the paint and licked it off her paws, the toddler licked her painted bed for whatever inexplicable reason, etc. Never know what family life will bring — nice to be covered just in case!

16. I can’t wait to see pictures of how your color choices turn out. My office & my guest bath are Desert Tan. I adore the color, but they look nothing like the swatch once it was on my walls. I would call it more of a buttery yellow. Light, subtle and I love it. Thanks as always for the great ideas!